ESA11: Ecology in Changing Landscapes
On behalf of the Ecological Society of Australia, and all Tasmanian ESA members, welcome to Tasmania.
It has been sixteen years since we have held the ESA conference in Hobart. Now, as then, we look forward to showcasing a little bit of what Tasmania has to offer while you are here.
The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Ecology in changing landscapes’. While there is nothing new about change, ecology as a discipline has been steadily maturing at a time in human history when our awareness of the ever-increasing pace and scale of environmental change has also been growing rapidly. Today we are all aware that no locale, no far-flung corner of the planet and no landscape is immune from its effects.
As we developed the scientific program, we wanted to capture current ecological thinking on changing landscapes so that it could be considered thematically. Thanks to the enthusiasm of our symposium conveners and the high quality of contributed papers, we’re confident that we’ve been able to effectively do so.
All of our keynote speakers have a strong association with Tasmania. Their presentations reflect the diversity of the Tasmanian environment and the challenges that the future may bring in terms of managing the changes that are engulfing us locally, nationally and globally.
As we are a large gathering in a relatively small venue we have worked hard to offer as many opportunities for oral presentations as possible. With this in mind, we have allowed for two sessions of speed talks, in which presenters face the challenge of showcasing their research highlights in under five minutes. We particularly thank all those who have risen to this challenge.
Social events, day-long field trips and pre- and post-conference tours will provide you with ample opportunities to interact with ecologists from around Australia and beyond. Field trips cover the breadth of ecosystems across the State, from ocean edge to mountain top and from ecologically intact to highly fragmented landscapes.
Our sincere wish is that you enjoy the conference, immerse yourself in our local environment and engage in what promises to be a stimulating conversation on the future of ecology in our changing landscapes.
We welcome you to Hobart and to ESA11: the 2011 Annual Conference.
Download the full 2011 Conference Handbook
- Local Organising Committee [164K PDF]
- 2011 Award Winners [4.8M PDF]
- Keynote Speakers [2.7M PDF]
- ESA Student Conference Awards [788K PDF]
- Program Information [424K PDF]
- Social Program [156K PDF]
- Program at a Glance [296K PDF]
- Full program [460K PDF]
- General Information [280K PDF]
- Instructions for Oral Presenters [160K PDF]
- Instructions for Poster Presenters [160K PDF]
- Instructions for Session Chairs [2.5M PDF]
- Sponsors [372K PDF]
- Exhibitor Profiles [168K PDF]
- Exhibition Floor Plan [720K PDF]
- Abstracts - Plenary Sessions [184K PDF]
- Abstracts - Concurrent Sessions [1.3M PDF]
- Abstracts - Posters [416K PDF]
- Index of Presenting Authors [172K PDF]